Monday, December 22, 2008

I haven't been very nice to my sweet husband lately. I could make up excuses...but I won't. I've just been grouchy and he's taken the brunt of it. We have an amazing relationship - the ability to talk things out without getting angry or yelling...tears maybe, but no yelling. So, I'm going to try really hard to be nice. Even when I'm grouchy.

Chris will tell you that he knew he was going to marry me instantly (who can blame him, right?) :) I, on-the-other-hand, wasn't that quick. Not because he wasn't super. But because I was in a weird transitional time in my life. But here's when I knew...The day I got the phone call that my mom and dad had been in a wreck, I was at Chris' apartment in Harrison. We had just come in from a walk around his neighborhood. I noticed several missed calls on my phone. He was there to see me fall to my knees screaming when my sister told me about the accident and that mom was in critical condition but she didn't know about dad. He listened to me cry out in prayer as we drove. He had to watch me scream out when Kerry called to tell me mom was OK, but dad was gone. He sat beside me as I cried, and cried and cried...He met most of my family, for the first time, grieving in a hospital and at a funeral. He took all of his remaining vacation days to be with me - and I didn't pay much attention to him. He was just there, supporting me when I needed him. He drove to my mom's house every single weekend for months - a 3-hour drive one way. All of this, and we had met only 2 months before. Most people would have bolted...but he didn't.

So, I read this verse in 1 Corinthians 13...it described him. And I knew.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I'm blown away by Chris's love and commitment so early in the relationship. He's a keeper.

Woman of Clay said...

Your recount of this time in your family's history was so vivid I could almost relive it with you. Wow, I'm going to tell Chris how awesome he is the next time I see him.