Monday, November 19, 2012

Almost Got this Starbucks Thing


The thing about being perpetually tired is that I’ve learned to like coffee. A couple of years ago (in the midst of really, really bad sleepless nights) we bought a Keurig. It’s now on my list of favorite things (so if you’re thinking about getting one for someone for Christmas—I say YES!) No one even has to know that I don’t know anything about coffee when I buy those little K-cups. 

By the way, I know absolutely nothing about coffee. Only that it keeps me from falling asleep at my desk. 

Since I’m pretty frugal (and paying $4+ for a drink gives me the shakes), I’ve just never gotten in to drinking coffee from coffee shops. That’s the story I’ll tell at least. Reality is, I’m a coffee shop dummy. And I’m intimidated. I’m afraid I’ll (a.) pay $5 for something I really don’t want, or (b.) say something stupid in my quest to order coffee and be embarrassed. Since I would rather neither of these things happen, I just don’t do it. 

But lately I’ve done some work travel with much more sophisticated and cultured co-workers, and I’ve learned a little. What I know is that both a Salted Carmel Mocha and a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks are yummo. That’s where it ends. I feel a little embarrassed to say “Grande,” instead of my typical “medium,”—do I say it like “grand-a” or “grand” without the “a” sound. A girl with an Arkansas accent saying something like “grand-a” doesn’t really shout SOPHISTICATION. 

I would like to roll the “r” just once. But I won’t.

This weekend, while out with Kerry (my sister) and Christina (my friend), we stopped by Starbucks, and I ordered a Grande Salted Carmel Mocha. It didn’t disappoint. Again today I went through the drive through and ordered this:




A Grande Peppermint Mocha. But this time threw in “skinny.” Almost like a professional. 

I may even do it again tomorrow. I think I’ve got this.

To those who are professional coffee drinkers/orderers, etc., feel free to send advice and tips. I'm trying to own the fact that I don't get out much. 

No comments: