Sunday, August 31, 2008

A familiar hug

Today we went to my mom's house to do a big birthday party for her, Bryce, Kerry and me....we like to stretch birthday's out as long as we can at the Moore house - any excuse for chocolate cake!

While we were there, my aunt and uncle stopped by. We don't see them very often, so it was a bit of a surprise. (this is my dad's twin brother) We had a nice visit. . He talked about when they were little and how he would get in trouble every day, but my dad rarely did. It was fun to hear stories about my dad. His family doesn't keep in touch with us very often, so I love anytime we get to hear about what he was like as a kid.

Anyways...when they were leaving my uncle hugged me. I think it was the first time I've felt myself get sad in a long time.

Even though they're twins, their facial features don't look exactly alike. But, if you saw them from behind, it would be difficult to tell them apart - short legs and a round belly. I just see little snippets of him in my uncle. Especially his hands. His hands look just like my dad's.

When he hugged me, I felt my heart skip a beat. He said "love ya sis". I know that's what he calls his girls too, so it wasn't wierd that he said that...but those were the last words my dad spoke to me the Wednesday before he died and there was something about the way his hug felt that was familiar. I almost felt like I hugged my dad today. Oh I wish...

2 comments:

Becca said...

I'm sorry. I didn't realize your dad had a twin. That must be so hard...and strangely comforting? I don't know. I'm just sorry that you have to be without your dad.

Julie said...

I'm praying for you today, Becky. I'm sorry.