Monday, September 21, 2009

The discipline delima

This discipline thing might just get the best of me...I've got a whiner on my hands. A typical morning goes a little like this:

Me: Carlee, would you like blueberry waffles or cereal for breakfast?
Carlee: (in her "mean" voice) I don't WANT waffles or cereal.
Me: Your choices are waffles and cereal - you can choose, or I will choose for you.
Carlee: (crying now) no, no, no, I don't want waffles OR cereal.
Me: go sit in your room until you're ready to choose.

And...then goes the crying fit.

Then, it's time to get dressed and we go through the same thing but up the whining a notch. Because, of course she can only wear skirts that "twirl". And, we only have so many skirts that twirl.

So, last night we started earning marbles. We'll see how it goes.

When she obeys the first time, she gets a marble. If I have to tell her twice, she doesn't get a marble. If I have to tell her three times, she gets a marble taken away. If she speaks to us disrespectfully, she gets a marble taken away. When she earns 20 marbles, she gets to pick out a treat. We counted out 20 marbles so she could see what 20 looks like and she's ready to go.

I also let her pick out her clothes for the whole week. I laid 10 outfits on her bed and let her pick from them and decide what she wants to wear each day. She's definitely a control freak (wonder where she gets that), so I think this will help.

So far, so good. Last night she earned 2 marbles for getting in the bath tub the first time I asked and getting in her bed (and staying) the first time. Then, she got another this morning for choosing her breakfast and getting dressed with ZERO drama. Please God, let this last!

My prayer is to raise my children to be respectful, caring, kind and unselfish. I'm certain you all have things that work with your kids...please share!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I don't have any advice, I'm just curious to see how this turns out. I too have a whiney brat on my hands and am wondering if she's too young to grasp this concept. If it works for you I might try it. Good luck!