Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

We're all finally well and life as we knew it before all the sickness is back to normal.

At 11:40 p.m. I told Chris Happy New Year, closed my eyes and was asleep within 5 minutes...I just can't do it anymore.

I'm not good at New Years resolutions, but I tought I'd at least write down a few "goals" for the year.

1. Read more books...I usually spend the evenings after Carlee goes to bed flipping through TV channels. I'm going to substitute that time with a good book. Hoping it will make me a little smarter and a little more interesting!
2. Be less self-centered...I've noticed more and more lately that I don't invest in people's lives. I talk about myself, and what's going on in my life a lot, but I fail to take part in other people's lives. I have a friend from Tulsa (who lives in Brussels now) who is a great example of this. The day I got the phone call that my mom and dad were in an accident, my dad didn't make it and my mom was in serious condition, I was sitting in the hospital in a bit of a daze (exhausted from having had a crazy, break-down moment), waiting for my mom to come out of surgery. My phone rang and I heard Janet's voice on the other end. I can still picture where I was sitting although I don't remember much of what she said, or any of what I said...what I do remember is that with tears in her voice she said " I'm so sorry" and that she loved me. It took a lot of courage for her to call. I don't know that I would in a situation like that - because I wouldn't know what to say. But she did...and somehow that call carried me through the night. It can be very powerful when we think of other people more than ourselves. (thank you Janet)
3. Pray every day...I don't do this - and nothing is more important. Period.

That should do it.

No comments: