Saturday, June 21, 2008

Heaven?

I started reading a book last night but I'm not sure why. First, I'm going to end up staying up later since the only time I have to read is after the kids go to bed. Second, and probably the biggest reason is because of what the book is about. It's called 90 Minutes in Heaven.

I went to WalMart last night to get formula (we're going to try Lacto-free and see if that helps), while I was there I thought I'd run over to the books to see if I could find a magazine with window treatments...since all I think about these days is formula and decorating. I didn't find a magazine, but my eye immediately went to this book. I am drawn to anything about Heaven. Right after the reality of my dad's death hit me I began searching through the Bible to find descriptions of Heaven. For some reason I needed a description of what it was like. I wanted to know that he was being taken care of and that he wasn't scared. I've been taught all of my life that Heaven is a wonderful place. But, it never really mattered what it was actually like until then.

So, I picked up this book and read the back. It told of a man whose car had been hit head on by a semi. Paramedics said he died instantly. The man experienced heaven. 90 minutes after the wreck, while a minister prayed for him, the man came back to life. This book was his story.

So, I'm reading it with a tad of unbelief. I want to believe that all things are possible with God. I'm just a little leery about whether God would bring someone back to life...I know he did in biblical times, but now? Is this real? I'm reading his description of Heaven and I want to believe it, but I'm not sure. I prayed when I knew my mom and dad had been in the wreck but he didn't come back to life. I'm certain other people have prayed for the people they love when death has arrived, but you just don't hear of people coming back to life after 90 minutes of being dead...and being OK enough to write a book and tell about what Heaven was like.

Reading the acknowledgements I see that he was and is a member of a Baptist Church. The preacher who crawled into the car to pray for the dead man was also a Baptist minister. So, they're not some kind of crazy religious faction...they're people just like me (well, kind of). Several paramedics announced him dead. They covered him with a tarp...It seems like I should believe it.

So, I'm praying that God will give me discernment, and I'm going to finish reading the book. The description of Heaven sounds wonderful!

No comments: